Design of materials for severe environment
Bulk and composite ceramics at high TRL
Involved personnel: Francesco Miccio, Valentina Medri, Valentina Biasini, Laura Silvestroni, Luca Zoli, Jan Hostasa, Annalisa Natali Murri, Elettra Papa, Pietro Galizia, Antonio Vinci, Simone Failla, Federico Saraga, Daniele Dalle Fabbriche, Cesare Melandri, Claudio Capiani, Andreana Piancastelli, Mauro Mazzocchi
We produce structural and functional ceramics for extreme applications, including oxides, nitrides, carbides and borides of transition metals, in form of monoliths or composites. Composites are considered ceramic matrix materials containing:
- ceramic or metallic particles;
- ceramic chopped or continuous fibers.
Materials can be completely dense or with tailored porosity, depending on the required application.
We develop the technologies and the processes (synthesis, powder treatment, shaping, sintering, chemical consolidation, surface treatment, coating, joints) up to the prototypal phase on a lab scale, or even products suitable to be tested on bench rig or real scale under severe conditions. We investigate the correlations among microstructure, mechanical properties and functional properties.
Application fields: mechanics, transports, aerospace, solar thermodynamic, anti-wear.
Processes & Equipments
- Carbides, nitrides and oxides for anti-wear/anti-corrosion engineer applications
- Poli-functional ceramics
- Fiber-reinforced damage tolerant UHTCMC for aerospace, transport, nuclear
- UHTC for aerospace
- UHTC for solar thermodynamic
- Dual ceramic composites
- High entropy UHTC
- Boron carbide and composites for ballistic
- Synthesis of nano-boride powders
- Geopolymer composites for thermos-structural applications
- Transparent polycrystalline materials
- University of Naples Federico II
- Avio S.p.A.
- Airbus Group Innovations